The Second World Starts With Me (WSWM) National Students’ Camp was held Mon 31st August 2009 -Frid 4th Sept 2009 at Gayaza
As a response to a request which was made by the Head teachers of the WSWM Project schools which participated in the 2007 project cycle at the WSWM Head teachers’ orientation workshop which was held at Mukono DFI in 2008 to train school-based WSWM student peer educators from each of the participating schools, SchoolNet Uganda organized two National WSWM Student camps during the Aug-Sept holidays to train the WSWM student peer educators.
The World Starts With Me (WSWM) is a sexual reproductive health and rights program implemented by SchoolNet Uganda in
partnership with the Dutch World Population Foundation and the Ministry of Education & Sports currently in 150 secondary schools in 39 districts across the country.
50 students from 50 of the schools which participated in the 2008 WSWM project cycle were trained as a WSWM Student Peer Educator at the WSWM student camp held (Mon 31st Aug – Frid 4th Sept) 2009 at Gayaza High School.
Each of the 50 schools was responsible for setting the selection criteria for the student to represent the school but the criteria should included among other things, a student who has a passion for WSWM, knowledgeable about the WSWM curriculum, has good interpersonal and communication skills and practices what WSWM stands for.
The trained WSWM Student peer educator will be responsible for mobilizing students for WSWM activities and lessons, assisting the WSWM teachers in conducting some of the WSWM lessons under the teachers’ guidance and for mobilizing students for the WSWM exhibition – Lesson 14. The schools were advised to send a student who was to be in school for one or more years.
WSWM Students Camp Objectives
The training of the WSWM student peer educators was conducted in such a way as to
achieve the following objectives:
- To provide the WSWM students from different schools across the country an opportunity to interact both formally and informally for the purpose of networking and knowledge sharing.
- To provide students with an in-depth knowledge of some of the Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) issues covered within the WSWM curriculum.
- To develop and enhance students’ capacity to use Internet as a learning resource and a resource for health information.
- To introduce students to the WSWM online support centre (http://www.schoolnetuganda.sc.ug/wswmonlinesupport/ ) and the Uganda Digital Education Resource Bank ( http://www.uderb.org ).
- To build students’ knowledge and skills in communication, public speech, script writing, skit acting, video filming and editing.
- To involve students in developing and producing multimedia youth friendly Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) materials.
- To get students’ suggestions and ideas of how to improve the WSWM program in schools both quantitatively and qualitatively.
Schools invited for the Second 2009 WSWM National Student Camp
The following schools were invited to attend the Second 2009, 5-day National WSWM Student Camp to be held at Gayaza High School (Mon 31st Aug- Frid 4th Aug ) 2009:
Alliance High School Nansana (Wakiso), Mvara Secondary School (Arua), Muni Girls school (Arua), Bweranyangi Secondary School (Bushenyi), Bugongi Girls SSS (Bushenyi), Busia SS (Busia), Lumino High School (Busia), Awere SS , Gulu (Gulu), Gulu High School (Gulu), Sacred Heart Secondary School (Gulu), St. Joseph’s Layibi, Gulu (Gulu), Duhaga SS (Hoima),St. Andrea Kaahwa (Hoima), Iganga Girls SS (Iganga), MM College Wairaka (Jinja), Wanyange Girl’s Secondary School (Jinja), Kakira Secondary School (Jinja), Mbogo High School (Kampala), St Peter’s Nsambya (Kampala), Airforce Secondary School (Kampala), St Joseph’s Naggalama (Kayunga), Y.Y. Okoth Memorial College (Kitgum), Ngora Girls’ Secondary School (Kumi), Teso college Aloet (Soroti), Comboni College (Lira),Lango College (Lira), St. Mary Magdalene Sec School (Lira),Bishop Tarantino College (Lira), Rachele Comprehensive SS, Lira (Lira), Naalinya Lwantale SS (Luwero), Ndejje High School (Luwero), Excel Boarding Secondary School (Masindi), Kabalega Secondary School (Masindi), Mbale SS (Mbale), Nabumali High School (Mbale),Nadunget Secondary School (Seed school)(Moroto), Moroto Parents Academy (Moroto), Kasaka Secondary School (Mpigi), St. Maria Goretti S S S Katende (Mpigi), Bishop’s Senior School Mukono (Mukono), Namilyango College (Mukono), St Peter’s Nkokonjeru (Mukono), 3R’s Secondary School (Mukono), Namapo Secondary School ( Sironko ), Soroti Secondary School (Soroti), Tororo Girls School (Tororo), Buwaga Secondary School (Wakiso), Gayaza High School (Wakiso), St. James High School Nansana (Wakiso).
A generic invitation letter and detailed camp programme can be downloaded from the link below